PHILADELPHIA – The Bryn Athyn College men's tennis team will get the opportunity to play for the first conference title in school history thanks to a 5-2 victory over Keystone College in the semifinal round of the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) Tournament Thursday afternoon at the Legacy Youth Tennis Education Center.
With the victory, Bryn Athyn—the second seed in the conference tournament—improves to 5-8 overall. The Lions will face top seed Clarks Summit for the conference title and spot in the NCAA Tournament on Friday, April 26 at 1 p.m. at the Legacy Youth Tennis Education Center.
Keystone ends its season at 4-6.
Thanks to a pair of dominant performances in doubles play, Bryn Athyn jumped out to an early 2-1 advantage. Tanner Schroeder and Isaac Anderson gave the Lions their first point of the day in double-quick time with an 8-0 victory at No. 3 doubles against JT Colapietro and Jeremiah Thomas. The All-CSAC first team tandem of Zach Brock and Jacob Elder remained perfect against conference competition by defeating Colin Franko and Liam McGranahan in the No. 2 match, 8-2.
Schroeder finished off his strong day by extended the Bryn Athyn lead to 3-1 by knocking off Blade McCabe at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-0. With the score sitting at 3-2 after Keystone won at No. 2 singles, Cole Lambertus put the Lions on the brink of the conference final with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Colapietro in the No. 5 singles match.
Brock—an All-CSAC first-team singles player—secured the victory as he got by McGranahan in his No. 3 singles match, 6-1, 6-3.
BRYN ATHYN 5, KEYSTONE 2
COLONIAL STATES ATHLETIC CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL
1. Nikita Smirnov (BA) vs. Sean Lape (KC) 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
2. Colin Franko (KC) def. Vojtech Luza (BA) 6-0, 6-0
3. Zach Brock (BA) def. Liam McGranahan (KC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jacob Elder (BA) vs. Alek Greenip (KC) 6-6, unfinished
5. Cole Lambertus (BA) def. JT Colapietro (KC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Tanner Schroder (BA) def. Blade McCabe (KC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lape/Greenip (KC) def. Smirnov/Luza (BA) 8-4
2. Brock/Elder (BA) def. Franko/McGranahan (KC) 8-2
3. Schroder/Isaac Anderson (BA) def. Colapietro/Jeremiah Thomas (KC) 8-0