Aug 30, 2019
BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – The Bryn Athyn College men's soccer team will host Penn State Abington in a non-conference match to open its 2019 campaign on General Ronald K. Nelson Field.
- Bryn Athyn brings back five players from the 2018 squad. Matheus Chaves is the team's top returning scorer after posting two goals and one assist in his first year with the Lions. The team also brings back defenders Pete Comas and Chris Mitchell and midfielders Zachary Brock and Dawson Broomhead. Brock and Comas will be the team captains, while Mitchell and Chaves are alternate captains. This will be Brock's third season as a captain.
- This will be a young Lions' team with 14 of the 21 players being freshmen. Owen Ovecka was a two-time team captain and named to the All-Catholic League third team as a senior. Cevin Spencer earned a place on the All-Philadelphia Public League team and place in the Philadelphia Senior All-Star Game. Joe Nugent was a three-time team captain and all-star while at New Foundations Charter School. Christian Smith earned All Tri-County Conference second-team selection as a sophomore and helped lead Delsea to its first conference title in 14 years last year.
- Bryn Athyn is 3-5-0 in season-opening contests, 1-3-0 on General Ronald K. Nelson Field. The Lions last opened a season at home back in 2017 and defeated Cairn, 4-2. It will be the first time in the nine-year history of the program that Bryn Athyn will face Penn State Abington to kick off a season.
- The Lions were voted eighth in the CSAC preseason coaches poll. Bryn Athyn had 17 points, one behind the College of Saint Elizabeth for sixth. Defending conference champion Keystone took the top spot with 59 points and six first-place votes, while Cairn was second with 57 points and a pair of first-place votes.
- Bryn Athyn and Penn State Abington are squaring off for the eighth time with the Nittany Lions claiming the first seven meetings. Saturday's showdown will be the fifth time that Bryn Athyn has hosted Penn State Abington. The only year that the two teams didn't meet was 2013.