Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late rally comes up just short in 4-3 setback to Marymount (Va.)

Late rally comes up just short in 4-3 setback to Marymount (Va.)

BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – Andre Fisher, Ryan Ovecka, and Aaron Clark all scored their first collegiate goals during a second-half comeback that came up just short in a 4-3 non-conference home loss to Marymount (Va.) on a rainy Thursday night on General Ronald K. Nelson Field.

The Lions found themselves down 4-0 after 67 minutes of play. Then with just under 14 minutes left, Fisher broke free from the Marymount (3-3-0) defense thanks to a pass from Zach Brock. In all alone, Fisher pushed the ball past a charging Eduardo Cardonne to get the Lions on the board.

Ovecka cut the Bryn Athyn deficit to 4-2 with 3:30 remaining as he blasted a free kick from just outside the left corner of the penalty area across the goal and inside the right post.  

Clark made it a one-goal contest by running by a crowd of Marymount defenders to track down a loose ball and shoot it into an open net to give Bryn Athyn a chance with 47.1 left. However, the Lions wouldn't be able to possess the ball in the attacking half for the rest of the match.

Marymount's Leo Luna opened the scoring at 9:31 with a chance that seemingly came out of nowhere and ended with Luna putting his shot into the right side of the goal from the left side of the penalty area. Luna made it 2-0 12 minutes later after getting his left foot on a Justin Meza centering pass.

The match remained 2-0 until Ridwaan Robinson scored 1:43 into the second half as he scored from a tight angle after getting to a Carlos Varona pass. Meza completed his four-point night by scoring at 66:44 with an assist from Luna.

Bryn Athyn keeper DJ Eldridge recorded seven saves. Cardonne finished with one save in 74:08. He was replaced by Ronald Clark who didn't make a save in the final 15:52.

The Lions (0-4-0) travel to DeSales for a non-conference match on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 3:30 p.m.